USB Mass Storage mode is one of the important and missing feature from Nokia Lumia phones. I have come across many people who were looking out for the same thing but at the end they were suggested to use Zune software for transferring their stuffs. So I am starting this thread to share that it is possible to enable USB Mass Storage mode in Nokia Lumia phones. For that one will have to making some changes in their system registry. So if anyone is comfortable with that, then they can try out below steps. Just make sure that you are backing up your registry before performing below steps.
Backing up registry
- For backing up registry, go to start, click on run, type “regedit ” without quotes and hit enter
- One you get the “Rgistry editor” window opened, click on “File” and click on “Export” and save it somewhere in your system.
- Open “Rgistry editor” window again and expand “Device Parameters” following this path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Enum > USB >VID_045E&PID_04EC&MI_00 > Device Parameters
- Now under Device Parameters edit the below registry value respectively
- ShowInShell - From 0 to 1
- PortableDeviceNameSpaceExcludeFromShell – From 1 to 0
- EnableLegacySupport - From 0 to 1
- After changing the values you can close registry editor, and connect your Lumia via USB. From now it should get recognized as usb storage device and you can transfer and access your files and folders in your phone.
This trick works with all of the below lumia models:
- Nokia Lumia 900
- Nokia Lumia 800
- Nokia Lumia 710
- Nokia Lumia 610
- Nokia Lumia 510